Friday, November 17, 2006

O Tanenbaum...

I'm a bit of a Christmas junkie. I'm so excited now that all of the malls are decorated, and I'm currently listening to Diana Krall's Christmas CD. The hubby and I are drinking hot apple cider, and we just finished decorating our first ever Christmas tree together (excuse the grainy photo; the only camera we currently have is a cell phone).

Yes, I know that it's only November 17th, but I couldn't help myself! If it makes you feel any better, our tree is only about 2 feet tall, but it's adorable. For the past three Christmases, the hubby has been in the Dominican Republic, and I've been at home. We generally only saw each other once or twice during the whole WINTER (oh, the wonders of long-distance love), so the fact that we get to spend Christmas together this year makes me incredibly happy (no Dominican because of our brand new nephew.) I'm so excited that I had to get started now--hence the early embracing of the festive bush, as the hubby likes to faux-PC call it.

My family is huge on Christmas tradition, so I'm really excited to go home and participate. We always decorate the tree on the first Saturday of December (never before, or else my dad pulls his Scrooge schtick), and my parents always pretty up the front of the house with garland and white lights and pointsettias. There are certain foods that we only ever make during the Christmas season- shortbread, lemon squares, snow pudding, truffles, lace cookies- and I've been helping my mom bake since I was old enough to hold a wooden spoon. Oh, I love Christmas! I love buying presents for everyone, and Christmas Eve mass, and having our house jam packed with people for turkey, and opening every little wrapped-up thing in my stocking (my mom even wraps Chapstick!)

Although I'm not at all excited about the prospect of the hubby and I residing at our respective parental abodes for two weeks over the holidays, I still can't wait to go home and get all Christmassy. Until then, I'll just sit and blog and admire my tiny little tree and dream of Christmas Eve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't, by any chance, sing soprano, do you?

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Yes, but very badly.

Anonymous said...

Oh well. We go carolling door to door every year, and are often short on sopranos. It's another one of those Christmas traditions that are so great to look forward to.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Oh, I love carolling. I haven't done it in years! I'm really not a bad singer; I just haven't sang in any formal way in quite a long time.
We just got back from the Christmas parade downtown. It was so fun to see the little ones riding their dad's shoulders, waving at everyone and singing along. :)