Sunday, November 05, 2006

Recipe- Yorkshire Pudding

I decided tonight to make a traditional British Sunday dinner- roast beef with roasted potatoes, carrots, and onions, gravy, steamed vegetables, and of course, Yorkshire pudding. My grandfather was a huge fan of this traditional Sunday dinner, and he taught my mom to make fantastic Yorkshire pudding. We have a long line of amazing male cooks in my family- my dad is wonderful too. I don't have my grandfather's recipe for Yorkshire pudding here with me, but I found this one online that looks similar, and I decided to give it a try.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. coarse salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 1/4- 3 1/2 c. milk
  • 6-8 tbsp. of pan drippings from the roast, or vegetable oil
Instructions:
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, salt & pepper. Make a well in the centre, and add the eggs and 1/4 of the milk. Whisk together starting from the centre of the well, until a stiff, smooth batter forms. Mix in 1/2 of the remaining milk. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  • Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a 12 cup muffin tin in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until very hot.
  • Meanwhile, add enough milk to the batter so that it resembles the thickness of heavy cream.
  • Add 1-2 tsp. of drippings or oil to the tins. Pour the batter into the tins until they are about 1/3 full. Return to the oven and bake until they are puffed, browned, and crisp, 25-30 mins. Serve immediately (can also be kept warm in a low oven for about 15 mins.)
The rundown: These puppies were amazing. Light, fluffy, flavourful, and oh, so, delicious with gravy on them. Just as good as my mom's, although one tip: ignore that whole drippings in the bottom of the tins step. They just stick. Good old Pam worked much better, and they still tasted great. The recipe also made a lot more than it said it would. I don't know if my muffin tins were smaller than the recipe used, but this batch made 24 individual Yorkshire puddings, instead of 12. But hey...more leftovers for breakfast.

0 comments: