Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Confessions of a Starbucks Junkie

My parents are very smart people. For Christmas, they bought the hubby the sweet little espresso maker that you see to the left. He thinks they're the greatest in-laws ever, I'm delighted 'cause I get to use it all the time, and they're happy because we're not spending money on coffee. Love all around!

I can't quite recall when my love of coffee began, but somewhere in the long line of sips from my dad's cup, java stopped tasting gross and starting tasting gorgeous. I've never looked back. I'm honestly not a caffeine junkie, as coffee doesn't do much for me in terms of a pick-me-up. It's just the taste and the smell. Oh man, the smell... I could just stand with my nose buried in a bag of Starbucks beans for hours. My dad, on the other hand, is a confirmed coffee addict, the kind that gets headaches when he doesn't have enough. And wouldn't you know, he's got the same espresso maker on his counter.

Generally, I'm pretty standard in my coffee tastes- either just cream, or a skim-milk latte. Sometimes you've gotta mix it up, though. I've mastered espresso & lattes in the new machine, but I know I'll get creative. Maybe some aizu-kohi (Japanese for iced coffee. They drink espresso cold, topped up with cold milk and ice cubes, with or without sugar. They do the same with tea), or some hazelnut syrup. There's this awesome store at Park Lane that sells only things to do with drinks, and they've got all of the flavours.

So, anytime you're having a coffee craving, come on over and I'll put on a pot. I might not be a barista, but I'm pretty damn good. I'll have to learn how to make gingerbread lattes for my sister...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE COFFEE TOOO!!!!! :) lol
~Mar

Anonymous said...

Loving coffee I can understand. Believe me, you have never seen a coffee-lover like my mom. (Which reminds me, did JPMC ever give you the info I gave him about the coffee-bean store in TO?) But Starbucks?!! That's just wrong. *sigh*

Melissa Dalgleish said...

No, JPMC didn't tell me about the coffee store. I'll ask him about it when he gets home. I like Starbucks because they make good strong coffee, and if I'm in for a cup when I'm out somewhere, I prefer it to Second Cup. But I'd much rather make my own and take it with me.

Anonymous said...

But Starbucks is evil. And their coffee is stale.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

What makes Starbucks evil? I'm not up on the politics of the coffee chains.

Anonymous said...

Their business practices are extremely unethical. Similar to Walmart's (the other store I won't set foot in). I'm not the sort to research every store I shop in, but when places like Starbucks make a point of openly breaking the law and thumbing their noses at everyone else, I get annoyed.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Hmmm...interesting. I'll have to look into that more. The Wiki article on them was pretty positive, but I'll go on a hunt for more information.

Anonymous said...

There are actually books with chapters devoted to this topic, but if you like, I will e-mail JPMC with what I know about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely up for learning more about the politics involved - I learned about the Walmart angle in Labour, but I've barely scratched the surface of Starbucks. I just don't like their coffee anyway, so I'm with you, Mango. Timmy's all the way!
But Mel is right, you definitely can't beat our espresso maker. :)

Anonymous said...

My mom received the same toastess contraption for Christmas. :P
Its a fun machine, though Im hardly a big coffee drinker ;)