Friday, January 05, 2007

Getting back to normal

It's Friday already? Man, this week has gone fast, but I'm enjoying getting back into my routines. The hubby got home from Florida yesterday afternoon, which was great. I'm not a huge fan of living alone (although I suppose I'd better get used to it for when he moves back to T.O. in June and I have to say here until August). It's just nice to have my favourite person around, and he's great company. We make each other laugh about every five minutes.

My first classes have also been really good. Ideas of the West is going to be interesting. All about the myths & misconceptions created by Western novels & films about what frontier life was really about and how those myths have contributed to the American national identity. My other seminar is The Politics of Early Modern Women's Writing, 1540-1640. I have no experience in Jacobean & Elizabethan women's writing (I think Shakespeare & Marlowe are my only real experience with the period), so this will be quite interesting. I'm not the only one in the class who is starting from the beginning, though, so I don't feel so bad about it. And lo and behold, there are actually TWO guys in the seminar (there are none in Western). My entire education from Grade 9 on has been completed in highly female atmospheres- an all girl's high school, a B.A. in English (lots of women), a B.Ed. in primary/junior (less than half a dozen men in the ENTIRE program), and an M.A. in English (more girls). So, even two guys is an achievement. It's not that I don't like having lots of women around, because I do. The women in my program are absolutely fabulous, and we all get along really well. But guys just add another perspective, don't they?

This weekend is going to be lots of relaxing, shopping (MicMac Mall!), and going to see Children of Men (Geoff Pevere gave it 4 stars, which he never does). We were going to go tonight, but when we got to the theatre, the line was waaaaay out the door. It must really be good!! We'll go much earlier on Sunday, and I'll blog about it later. Hope you all enjoyed your last week of vacation/ first week back to the grind. TGIF!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SPOILERS AHOY!!!


Children of Men sucked. We saw it back a while ago (yay bootleg internet movies) and worst movie I have ever seen. Starts out in London England, driving on the wrong side of the road and everything.. then suddenly disaster comes and we have to get the lady to safety.. which is "Across the border in Mexico" . They start driving and low and behold you see the customs booth (albiet rather destroyed after the mass riots and bombing) and then they are in mexico and have the baby. WTF? ending is worse, but i wont spoil any more lol.

Don't waste your money!!!

love mar

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Really? lol. Well, we're still seeing it tomorrow, so I'll let you know what we think. I can't believe that Geoff Pevere could be so wrong! And it's got like 93% on Rotten Tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

Well, how was it???
mar