Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Golden Globes- Celebrity Bonanza

As some of you might know, I am a total gossip hound. I can't go a day without reading Lainey's great, snarky updates on www.laineygossip.com and checking out Mario Laviandera's hilariously evil postings on www.perezhilton.com. Considering that I don't own a television, this is how I get my fix. It's a bit of a disease really, but one that I'm not giving up anytime soon. Of course, once in awhile I have pangs of "do I really want to support slimy paparazzi in chasing celebrities?", but really, celebs choose to be famous, and having their picture taken goes along with it. They wouldn't be famous without people like me who actually care what they wear!

That said, the Golden Globes, like a good curry, were much better enjoyed the day after. I didn't have to stay up until midnight and sit through all of Maria Menounous' inanities, and I still got to enjoy all of the pretty dresses! Here are the most interesting moments:

  • Drew Barrymore looking like a tangerine. Yes, tans can look good, but not when your face doesn't match the rest of your body. However, I love Drew for being more normal sized than most women in Hollywood, and she is adorable no matter what.
  • Hugh Laurie's acceptance speech. Be still, my heart. Yes, he's old enough to be my dad, yes he has a wife and three kids, but he's still adorable and so funny. Ex.: "I'm stunned. I'm speechless. I am literally without a speech. For weeks and weeks people are throwing things at you- free shoes, free cuff links, free colonic irrigations for two. Why no acceptance speeches? I'd love to be able to pull out a speech by Dolce & Gabbana."
  • Sienna Miller's hideous Heidi look. My mother would never let me leave the house with my hair looking like a rat's nest.
  • The cast of Heroes, especially Greg Grunberg, who was sweetly appreciative- "Only eleven episodes, and we're at the Golden Globes? It's amazing!" Also, "Woo! We lost!" And Mohinder presenting Hugh Laurie with his award was almost too much gorgeousness to handle.
  • Kate Winslet. Always perfect. Ditto for Jennifer Lopez. They always look fantastic. Also love Felicity Huffman.
  • America Ferrara's dress. I covet that dress...I would look great in that dress...There is no way that I could afford that dress...
Awards season in Hollywood is like two months of prom. I'm sure that it's tiring and irritating after awhile to have to keep getting dressed up and looking pretty, but how fun? So many gorgeous clothes and jewels! The fantasy world of Hollywood can obviously be damaging for people who take it too seriously and try to live that way in their real lives, but as escapism, it's the perfect fantasy land to retreat to when I need a break from the real world.

0 comments: