Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Looking forward to 2007

It seems like every blog I've read lately claims that 2006 was an ugly year. I'm on that bandwagon. I have never had as much drama in my life as I had in 2006, so yea for 2007 being here! I'm not going to be depressing and recount all of the things that I didn't like about 2006, but here are the awesome things that I'll be doing in 2007:

  • Kicking some serious a** in the rest of my graduate seminars, graduating with an A average, and getting into the Ph.D. program of my choice
  • Potentially presenting a conference paper in Calgary or Montreal
  • Spending summer days by the Halifax harbour, eating Cows ice cream and listening to live music
  • Moving in August- I love apartment hunting! I've moved five times in the past 8 months, so I'm kind of addicted!
  • Finishing my gorgeous monster of a thesis
  • Getting a job & saving money for a down payment on a house/condo
  • Working with kids again (first year university students are pretty close, but not quite the same)
  • Taking full advantage of my unlimited access to three libraries- how can you go wrong?
  • Owning my first car
  • Road tripping!! Driving a U-Haul from Halifax to Mississauga.
  • Seriously improving my squash game and taking on some more challenging partners (I know I'll never beat Jen, but I can wish!)
  • Watching the hubby graduate from law school
  • Graduating with my third university degree (two down, two to go!)
Even though I can confidently say that all of the things on this list are going to happen, one thing that I love about the beginning of a new year is that you never quite know how things are going to work out. I could be teaching kindergarten in September, or I could be teaching grade 8. I don't know where I'm living after August 17th. I don't know which school I'm going to get into for my Ph.D. I don't know what conferences I'll attend, papers I'll write & mark, or books I'll read. I love it! Change and uncertainty are fascinating and exciting; I used to find them scary, but what's the point? So here's to 2007 and all of the wonderful, unknown things that could, might, will happen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could give me some pointers. I can't stand that sort of uncertainty. I generally always know what my next step is, and I find it very stressful in the times when it's not clear. For example, right now I'm set up from now until May 2008, after which I have no idea what I will be doing, but I will hopefully have that sorted out some time before I get to that point.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

This is one of those comments that's going to get really long, so I'll just blog it!.