Saturday, March 17, 2007

Wild & wacky Halifax weather


Halifax's weather is pretty unique, let me tell ya. Most people here don't bother with umbrellas, ever, because they're essentially useless. Rain in Halifax always equals crazy wind, and hence useless inside-out umbrellas. The key is one of those ugly yellow rain jackets. Works every time. Today, however, was something else entirely. Let me itemize all of the craziness:

  • intense fog
  • all roads & sidewalks turned into sheets of ice
  • all trees and roofs covered in sheets of ice
  • gusting winds
  • said sheets of ice falling to the ground when said winds blew, making me want at the very least a hard hat and some safety goggles
It was crazy! The hubby and I skated into town for some breakfast, dodging falling ice the whole way, and then attempted to blindly find our way back to our apartment through fog like pea soup. It was actually kinda fun. Makes Ontario weather seem really boring.

Today was a marking papers and reading kind of day, which made me feel nicely productive. My kids in 1020 wrote papers on "the Art of Bunburying" in The Importance of Being Earnest, or magic & sleep in The Tempest. For all of you who don't know Earnest, Bunburying (yes, it is a word. It's in the Oxford English Dictionary, so there!) is making up a fake person who you suddenly need to go see and take care of whenever something that you don't want to do comes up. In Earnest, Algie conveniently has to go see Bunbury, who has also conveniently had an attack of something, whenever his Aunt Augusta has a boring dinner party. Very cute papers. I'm much impressed, and actually enjoying the reading of them, which always helps (4 down, 19 to go).

I'm also currently reading three books, which is about average. The first, Bill Bryson's Troublesome Words, is a guide to difficult English words written in Bryson's inimitable and hilarious style. The second is The Last Wife of Henry VIII, which is a historical novel about the life of Catherine Parr, and the third is Blackmantle, which is a fantasy-fiction about a mythological Celtic society living on another planet written by Patricia Kennealy-Morrison, who wedded The Doors lead singer Jim Morrison in a Celtic handfasting ceremony. All of which will end up on Melissa's Library very soon. What can I say? I like variety.

On the hubby's job front, sounds suspiciously like there might be another (and possibly better, although how that's possible I don't know, as the current one is fantastic) offer coming on Monday, so I'll keep you posted. I'll also keep you posted on how well I manage to keep my craving for a McDonald's Creme Egg McFlurry at bay. I'm not a fan of Mickey Ds, but I do love Cadbury. Damn you, Easter!

0 comments: