Sunday, May 27, 2007

Thank goodness for waterproof mascara...

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. This week has been ridiculously insane. Just random. But fun, and sad, and all sorts of things thrown in there all together.

First off, I was in bed with the wickedest migraine of my life (only my second) for literally three days. How can you have a headache for three days!? I was not impressed. The hubby was fantastically supportive (and quiet, which was key), and I survived. But only after a couple of midnight runs on his part to the drugstore and many, many, many dry crackers. Still am not 100%, but getting there. I pray that this never happens again, because I have never been in so much pain in my life.

That lovely event coincided with the hubby's family arriving from Toronto for his graduation on Friday morning. I was worried that I wouldn't make it, but I dragged my butt out of bed and got there. It really was lovely, and we were all (all 9 of us) so proud to see him walk across the stage and get his diploma. It was also quite adorable when the registrar, who was giving out the diplomas and is also the hubby's boss, made the next guy wait so she could hug him. It was a nice way to celebrate 7 years of university, and we all had a good time. It was a good chance to get to say goodbye to all of our friends who are going home to write the bar exam on Tuesday, as I won't see them until I'm back in Toronto in August.

Saturday was tourist day, as our sister-in-law Kerry had never been to Halifax before, and the rest of the family hadn't been here for a long time. We went to the farmer's market, Cows, had a long walk along the boardwalk, and then drove out to Peggy's Cove. I was in the girly car with the aunties and our cousin Emily, which was fun, and Peggy's is always gorgeous. It wasn't too busy and the weather was great, which made it the perfect day to go. I think the baby even liked it. After we had our fill of rocks and water, we drove out to Hubbard's cove for a lobster supper at The Shore Club. The club is a totally homey, old-fashioned Maritime dance hall, and they serve lobster suppers five days a week from May to October. For a ridiculously reasonable price, we got a lobster, unlimited salad and mussels, drinks, dessert, and coffee. It was deeelish (I was tired of crackers by that point and RAVENOUS, so I did my lobster justice) and it was the perfect Nova Scotia thing to do with family from away. Emily had her first lobster, which was very exciting for her (Em is a year younger than me, has Down's syndrome, and thinks that everything is fantastic, but this was a treat). The drive out to Hubbard's is gorgeous too, and although we had to go a roundabout way because we were coming from Peggy's Cove, it's really not far from downtown Halifax either.

After we got back, the hubby and I went on a double date to the Shoe Shop with his brother Greg and his wife Kerry (parents to the uber-cute Aaron, now eight months old and with six teeth, who kept us all thoroughly entertained the whole weekend). It was nice to just chill with them (and let Kerry have a break from mommy duties), and we had a great night. I was impressed that Kerry lasted until nearly 2:00 am, considering how early Aaron gets her up. Trooper!

Today was not such a fun day, however. The hubby and I spent the day cleaning the apartment and packing his bags, and he left for the airport about an hour ago. I'm a bit of a wreck at the moment, as I seriously despise that he had to go home to write the bar exams and take the bar course, and as I don't know when I'll see him again before August. What can I say? He's my guy and my fave person around. I'll deal, but hence my gratefulness for waterproof mascara so I could save face in front of the in-laws.

I think that tonight is a good night for seeing a fluffy movie to distract myself from my empty (but very clean!) apartment. Pirates of the Caribbean it is! It was a crazy weekend, but a nice one, and now I've got even more motivation to get my thesis done and get home.

0 comments: