Monday, June 25, 2007

And if you will note the Harry Potter widget:

There are 25 days until the last Harry Potter book comes out. I am both thrilled and saddened. Thrilled because I've been waiting to read it since the minute I finished reading the last one, and sad because a) it's the last Harry Potter book and b) people are going to die and I'm going to cry. That said, I'm still terribly excited to get it. I pre-ordered it from Amazon so that it will arrive on my doorstep the day that it is released. I'm trying to get the thesis done before it arrives so that I can spend as much uninterrupted time as possible reading on Christy's deck with a glass of wine. That, my readers, is my idea of heaven. And that's not the only thing I have to look forward to:

  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: very very exciting. I was not super thrilled with the last film, but this one is getting great buzz. Maybe they're like Star Trek and the alternate ones are good. Anyway, much looking forward to seeing how the whole Ron, Lavender & Hermione love triangle plays out. I love them at the end of book 6. And how can you get more perfect than Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge? Remember her as Hugh Laurie's obnoxious wife in Sense and Sensibility?
  • Canada's Wonderland: I am a roller coaster junkie, and I am lucky enough to live within a half hour drive back home of a fabulous amusement park. I need my annual Top Gun scream-a-thon, that's for sure, and I'm going the weekend I get home.
  • Camping: I miss camping, and as I don't have any camping equipment here, this is another activity that will have to wait until I get home. How can you beat lying in a hammock and drinking beer, making smores, and swimming in the lake?
  • Shopping: I literally have not bought myself any clothes this year except for jeans, which are a necessity. Anything new that I got was either mailed to me by my mother or was bought with birthday gift certificates. But I'm starting work in September, and I'm hoping that my mom will take me to get some new work clothes so that I look presentable. I tell you, I inherited my love of shopping gene from her.
  • My queen sized bed: Need I say more?
  • Beer Fest: I think I'm going to make it home in time. Not as good as Montreal's, but still pretty damn good. But why is it that men always assume that women don't like beer? The hubby is much more limited in his tastes for beer than me; give me a good oatmeal stout any day.
Things I am not looking forward to: taking my G level driving test; the smog; the hubby's severe lack of playtime since he will be in articling student hell. Eh, I think the good things list still wins.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you think guys don't like believing that women might enjoy beer, you should try telling them you drink single-malt scotch!

Canada's Wonderland, huh? I haven't been since grade 7... for good reason, though.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

How did you get into drinking scotch? I'd like to try it, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Wonderland is my way of working myself up to more daring feats. Now that crazy rollercoasters are old hat and don't really scare me anymore, I'm going to try bungee jumping and skydiving. Probably skydiving first, as there's a place not far from my parent's house.

Anonymous said...

Hm. It depends on how strong the other stuff you drink is. For example, if you find brandy too strong, then you won't like it. Once you get into the brandy level, I recommend trying a "rusty nail" before straight Scotch. (Scotch and Drambuie.) It tends to be mellower. But any time you'd like to have some Scotch, I have several nice ones at home.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

I enjoy brandy, cognac sometimes. I will try a rusty nail the next time I'm somewhere with a well stocked bar, and I might take you up on your offer of a bit of scotch education once I'm back. :)
How is the bar course treating you?

Anonymous said...

It's too bad it wasn't the other kind of bar course (where one might acquire rusty nails, for example). haha.

But it's going fine. I like my class. Most of us have senses of humour that make the assignments more fun to complete.