Saturday, September 13, 2008

Palin and Parties

I was staying down in the states during both the Democratic and Republican conventions, and I spent a lot of time watching U.S. coverage of both. I was very anti-Republican to begin with, but the appointment of Sarah Palin as VP candidate really got my back up. Hence, I think this is amazing.

There are so many things that I think are wrong with Sarah Palin. Some of them are very personal, others I would think are generally understandable. Like her proclamation that she rejected the idea of the "bridge to nowhere", in the best interests of her state, when she actually campaigned on a "build the bridge" platform. Or the fact that she has chosen a life of politics over the responsibility of raising a very young and disabled son. Yes, I'm a feminist, and yes I believe that women have the right to choose how to live their lives, but her leaving the care of a tiny baby with Down's Syndrome to nannies and her older children just rubs me the wrong way. And while I admire her daughter for keeping her baby, I'd much rather know that Bristol had the choice to get pregnant and took it, rather than knowing that with an anti-sex education and anti-birth control mother, that likely wasn't the case.

In the world of Canadian politics, one of my jobs today is to do a bunch more research on the platforms of our four parties. I've read a fair bit in Maclean's and the Globe and Mail about all four, but I need to know more before I make a decision. I'm never going to be one to vote on the basis of party alone; I know that what parties campaign on is not often accomplished, but I refuse to put power in the hands of someone who isn't committed to the same interestes of the country and it's people as I am.

1 comments:

Dennis Buchanan said...

Palin was such a bad call. Not a bad speaker, with a well-written script in front of her. And putting her on the ticket was such a sensational surprise that they pulled off a short-lived surge in the polls.

But between the 'family values' issues, the allegations of public malfeasance that she's dealing with, and her overall inexperience in anything even remotely relevant to Federal politics, she was bound to fall flat on her face. And with a presidential candidate as old as McCain, the choice of VPs is very important.

By the way, it's nice to see somebody talking about 'all four' Canadian parties, and not be including the Bloc in the calculation. ;-)