Monday, January 05, 2009

Things I'm doing today that make me happy

  • Reorganizing our bookshelves (6 in total) so that I feel like our apartment is a bit less stressful on the eyes
  • Giving away shoes that are worn out/out of style/uncomfortable so that our front hall closet is more manageable
  • Making a pilgrimage to Wal-Mart to buy yarn and a crochet hook/knitting needles (haven't decided which yet). I need a project, and I think a blanket is a good one. I'm not a good knitter, but I feel like I should challenge myself, so I'm going to hunt around for a simple pattern.
  • Watching the rest of the season of Home to Flip. Man, Peter Fallico is amazing. The house is gorgeous, and even in not the best neighbourhood (Christie, between Bloor & Dupont, but closer to the latter), he made a ton of money. Gives me some great ideas...
  • Simmering a pot of homemade turkey soup on the stove. I begged my mom to give me the carcass from our Christmas turkey, which she grudgingly did; not because she wanted it for herself, but because I think she thought I was a little crazy. I spent yesterday afternoon making turkey stock: carcass, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, pepper corns, half a sprig of rosemary, lots of water, simmered for a few hours. It smelled amazing. Today, I'll throw the stock back in a pot with fresh carrots and celery, the meat stripped off the carcass, and some ditali pasta, for a tasty, completely homemade and very nutritious soup. Yum.
  • Checking out the pool next door. Yes, I've known there was a pool on the 18th floor next door since we moved in over a year ago, but I've always been wary of using it, as I'm a bit squeaming about indoor public pools. However, after swimming every day in Florida, I'm not willing to give that up just yet, as it fools me into believing, even for a few minutes, that it's not actually winter. So, I'm going to go to our rental office, get a key, and go see what the pool is like. If it's gross, then I'll check out the rates at the community centre down the street. I used to be a great swimmer, and the new year seems like a good time to get back into that.
  • Watching Bridget Jones's Diary tonight with a bowl of popcorn. My mom, knowing how much her girls love chick flicks (my sister is the Queen of All Girlie Movies), gave me a good selection for Christmas, and I'm excited to rewatch Bridget. She's adorable, and I adore Colin Firth, so it's a classic in my books.

0 comments: