Thursday, October 22, 2009

How well is this thing going to fly?

So, I've gone just slightly off my rocker with my final class seminar presentation. Ever. Halleluiah! Praise the Lord! But to get myself through it, I've done something that might not be so smart.

Here's some context. York requires you to take one 3-credit (one term) course in literature that fits into the pre-1798 period. I, of course, not being remotely interested in things pre-1798, left it to very last, and I'm fulfilling that requirement with Shakespeare's Histories, which actually is pretty good. But here's the thing:

a) I don't want to be doing this.
b) I haven't taken Shakespeare since second year.
c) My last exposure to it was teaching Grade 10 English.

So what did I do to cut myself some slack? Came up with perhaps the most random seminar topic I've ever thought of, and certainly the most random that I've ever allowed myself to actually submit. All because I felt like writing about things that I know and enjoy. And what did that turn out to be, you might ask? Here's my title:

The Chosen Ones: Archetypes of Heroic Leadership in 2 and 3 Henry VI as Understood Through A Mirror for Magistrates and J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter.

Yep, you got it right. Late Medieval parables, Renaissance drama, Northrop Frye, and Harry. So you can see why I'm wondering, as I finish my PowerPoint presentation (it makes all ideas sound less insane. Something about the fancy templates)--how well is this going to fly? I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

0 comments: