Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Culture on the Cheap

I'm a student. I'm poor. But I still love the chance to partake in all of the great cultural activities that Toronto has to offer. Hence the fact that, if for no other reason, the students discount I get at all sorts of places makes my continued poor-student status valuable. Take the Toronto Symphony Orchestra for example. Until I'm 35, I get $12 tickets. Twelve dollars. That's cheaper than going to the movies. So you can imagine how excited I was to get to go see Philip Glass, one of my favourite composers, on Wednesday night. Actually, I wasn't all that excited after the performance--I feel like he's losing his touch, or else he's done what he can with his particular brand of minimalism and needs to move on--but the first piece, Christopher Theofanidis' Rainbow Body, was fairly fabulous. And yes, the cheering is supposed to be there--Theofanidis wrote it into the score after an early performance.



Another great cheap Toronto cultural fix is Soulpepper; a couple of school friends and I are going to see Civil Elegies on Wednesday, which I've been wanting to see for ages. Check out the video preview, if you get a chance. It's getting great reviews. And Soulpepper is right next to SOMA chocolatemaker, which means that I will definitely be arriving early and making a pitstop. I love this city.

2 comments:

Nav said...

I'm gonna' go see Civil Elegies on Friday. I don't even know what it's about - I've just been told that I'll like it. Let us know if it's good?

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Hm. Change of email address seems to have affected my comments notification. Must look into that.

Re: Civil Elegies: what did you think?