Monday, May 14, 2007

Monday afternoon with Kyung-Jin

Kyung-Jin is my totally adorable, absolutely hilarious, 19-year-old South Korean student, and we work together three afternoons a week. As I no longer have my "Afternoon with Eiji" posts to write, as he's back in Japan, it's Kyung-Jin's turn, and today was a classic example of the random things she wants to learn about:

  • bodily functions
  • onomatopoeia
  • the English words for the sounds that animals make (Call me naive, but when I moved to Japan, I thought that everyone thought that cats went "meow." Wrong. In Japan, cats go "won-won." Who knew?)
  • every possible variation on the word "bum"
  • the tendency in English to turn nouns into verbs (ex. text message becomes to text, email becomes to email, etc.)
  • the exact meaning of the expression "knock yourself out"
  • all possible variations on the word "move": a) I'm moving to a new house. b) Look, the dog that I thought was dead is moving! c) I was really moved by the movie
  • the nuances of human anatomy
Needless to say, we have a great time, and I've never had to work less hard for my money than with her. She's so curious, and wants to know everything! My kind of student.

0 comments: