Friday, June 08, 2007

Oh Nooooooo!

After my fairly productive afternoon at Bleak House yesterday, I headed over to SAS to proctor an exam for a few hours, which is code for "watch Brothers & Sisters on streaming TV and get paid to do it." I love my job. After I got home, I was planning on going for a long walk by the harbour after checking my email. And what did I discover? That the Internet is down in my apartment, and possibly my entire building. Instead of going on a long walk, I spent a long time on the phone with Aliant. I don't know if the construction crews next door accidentally clipped a cable, or if it's some other problem that I don't know about, but the repair person won't come until Tuesday to fix it. Being net-less is a scary proposition at first, but I wonder if I won't actually enjoy it.

It means that I can't blog or Facebook or read blogs or watch TV anytime that I want, but it also means that I have more incentive to read, which is good news for Melissa's Library, which has been sadly neglected lately. I finished half of one of the Canadian novels that I'm reading, Martha Ostenso's Wild Geese, which is fantastic and which I can't wait to get home and finish once I've fulfilled my thesis quota today. It also means that my long distance bill will be higher, as I'll be more likely to call people than send an email, but I can deal with that. I had a lovely philosophical conversation with my father last night about religious strife and the Big-Endians and Little-Endians from Gulliver's Travels. I also got to chat with my uber-busy 87-year-old grandmother for a couple of minutes when she popped in to bring my mother some lupin seedlings (we're big on sharing plants in my family), which was great. My mom & Hayley were out shopping for some sweater that my aunt Colleen bought and that Hayley had to have THAT minute, so I didn't get a chance to talk to them. I come from a family of shopaholics. It's a disease, and one that my budget prevents from flaring up into a full-blown addiction. I do have to admit that Hayley has great clothes, though.

I know that I'm only going to be net-less for a few days (and obviously I can get online at Bleak House, or else I wouldn't be writing this right now), but I think it will be an enlightening experience. I'm not a gamer or anything, and so I don't spend THAT much time online, but I spend enough, so it will be interesting to see what I end up doing with that time instead. I'll let you know. Can't go wrong with an impromptu sociological experiment!

0 comments: