Monday, July 09, 2007

And now I wait...

The odd thing about getting this far into the thesis process (a.k.a. about three weeks away from being done) is that it mostly entails a lot of waiting. Send it to Dean...wait...revise & send it to my first reader...wait...revise & send it to my second reader...wait...send it for format approval...wait. And then that's it! But yet, a lot of waiting.

I couldn't have picked a nicer place to wait in, though. I've been at Christy's for nearly two weeks now, and haven't really written about it at all. It is, in one word, lovely. I've got a phenomenal kitchen to potter around in, a barbecue, a deck and a yard, a TV (wonder of wonders), and a lovely lovely dog, Sam, to keep me company. He's great to talk to (hey, it's better than talking to myself!) and he keeps me good and active, as he needs at least an hour of walking a day. Besides, he's cute and attracts a lot of attention, so I've always got people to talk to. I didn't realize that having a dog was immediate membership to the Dog Owners of Halifax club, but it's rather cool. It's like all social norms about talking to strangers on the street dissolve once you've got a leash in your hand. And Sam is such a striking looking dog that people even rubberneck in their cars when he's around. This picture is of another apricot standard poodle who looks a lot like Sam, but his head is clipped much shorter, and his legs are looooooong.



I'm having a great time here, and while I'm waiting, I'm certainly keeping myself occupied. I've got an apartment to pack up, the conclusion to the thesis to write, I rented a season of Six Feet Under to watch (my new favourite), and there's still the city to enjoy. I'm glad to be close to going home, though. The hubby has just started his first day as a lawyer today, which is very exciting, and I wish that I could have been there. Soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, not a lawyer yet! Student-at-law. We all have to go through that first. :P

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Apparently, as soon as you are officially a student-at-law, you are allowed to call yourself a lawyer in everyday conversation. :)

Anonymous said...

That's just 'cause no one knows what a Student-at-law is. :)

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Very true. :) When do you start your articles? JPMC apparently had a great first day: swanky lunch, training, and they gave him a Crackberry, which is scary!

Anonymous said...

TAKE THE CRACKBERRY AWAY!!!! QUICK BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.. lol
And the people rubbernecking are probably looking at you, not the dog. LOL <3 you Mel !!!!
~Mar

Anonymous said...

The 23rd. I took a vacation before I started, so that I wouldn't go completely insane. (Just partially insane.) Also, I have one last gig with the Symphony from the 18th-21st, so starting after that made sense, rather than taking time off after the first week.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Good idea, Mangos. I'd go a bit nuts too. Can't wait to be done here and relax for a couple of weeks before school starts. And I totally agree with you, Mar. They're dangerous! Does Blaise have one? My dad has a Treo, and it is such a pain in the butt. And you might be right about the rubbernecking. lol. The "walking the dog for an hour a day plus a proper kitchen" diet is working wonders.