Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm a bad blogger

I know, poor blog, I've been neglecting you. But it's been so fun! Here's what I've been up to:

  • Tall Ships Festival: long walk along the harbour with Sam on Saturday to see all of the Tall Ships. My favourite are the big huge German one (can't remember the name) and the HMS Bounty from Pirates of the Caribbean. It was super busy, but a lot of fun, even though I didn't go on any of the ships (too expensive.) Sam was fawned over by about a hundred people, and I took lots of pictures of the Bluenose for my dad, as he didn't get to see it when we were in Lunenburg.
  • Tall Ships Picnic: The ships left Halifax on Monday on their way to Lunenburg, so a bunch of us went out to Point Pleasant Park to have a picnic and take pictures of them as they made their way out to sea. It ended up being a gorgeous day, although it started out cloudy. All of us expected it to stay that way & therefore didn't bring sunscreen & hence now look like lobsters, but it was still great. There's something so fun about just hanging out and eating outside. I hope my photos turn out, although my lens is definitely not as good as the three guys with the foot long ones. Hm, do you think they're compensating for something?
  • Girls' night: last night, most of us MA girls met up at Rogue's Roost to sit on the patio and listen to the Jazz Fest and drink raspberry beer. It was another beautiful night, and it was so nice to just sit and talk about things that didn't necessarily involve school. Joy came, which was great, because most of us haven't seen her since May. After a couple of hours there, we went over to Fireside for Raspberry Kuchen, which was delish, and quite on theme. It was such a nice night!
  • Party planning: I'm having a big BBQ on Friday night for everyone from school, as I'm the only one who currently has enough room & a big BBQ. I can't wait! Seems like it's going to have an alcohol theme- Kate is bringing a vodka soaked watermelon & I'm making Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Guinness Cake. Hey, we're grad students. We study & we drink, often at the same time!
  • Packing: the apartment is nearly devoid of furniture, and I've got a couple of bags of stuff for recycling/ garbage, and a few boxes packed for shipping. I'm going to spend the day on Saturday dealing with the clothes & shoes, and then I should be close to set. Then it's onto the cleaning...ugh. Need to call the carpet cleaners too.
So that's it for me! Halifax is having lovely weather, which makes me not want to leave, but it's getting closer all the time. My second reader finished with the thesis today, so I'm going to go pick it up and revise tonight & tomorrow, and then hopefully get it to my third & final reader soon so that I can go home on the 31st as planned. Can't wait!

0 comments: