Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The joys of being unemployed

I'm rather enjoying not working. It gives me lots of free time to do things that I like to do that I don't normally have as much time to do, such as:

  • Colouring. I have "grown up" colouring books, which I love. Currently working on some Tiffany stained glass. I'm ridiculously untalented as an artist, but colouring I can do. Very relaxing too.
  • Going to the gym. I can take my time, putter around, try new machines. I don't care if it takes me an hour and a half, because I've got an hour and a half! Much fun, and makes me feel good.
  • Baking. I made whole wheat raisin bread (which apparently you can't buy at the store, as I've never seen it), and I'm making lemon squares for dinner at the hubby's house tonight. It's the aunties' favourite, and I'm not allowed to bring anything but them to dinner, ever.
  • Reading design magazines. My mom subscribes to every interior design magazine known to man, and I get to read all of the ones that I missed when I was away at school. They're making me hanker for $6,000 wool rugs, but I'm reigning myself in.
  • Looking for a job. Didn't have much time for that in the flurry of thesis finishing, Halifax moving activities, but I do now. I don't have one yet, mind you, but I'm looking. I just finished up doing some freelance research work, which was both fun and lucrative, so I'm not going crazy trying to find any old job to tide me over. It's gotta be something I'll enjoy.
I can see how people like Mrs. X in The Nanny Diaries (no, haven't seen it, but I get the idea) can not work, but also have a nanny, and still fill their time. Like Hugh Grant in About a Boy. He divides his day up into units of 30 minutes. A bath is 2 units, a TV show is one unit, listening to music is 2 units, and there goes the day! I don't think that I'd be able to do this for any length of time, but I'm liking it while it lasts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the joys of being unemployed is having time to find employment? Somehow that doesn't sound quite right. :)

Melissa Dalgleish said...

And yet, it is true. When I was still doing school business, I didn't have time to find a job that I would like, which is something that I want. Now, I do. I know that I'm only going to enjoy not working for so long, so having time to get myself out of it is, as contradictory as that sounds, a good thing!