Sunday, September 02, 2007

Wedding-ness

PHOTO: Kingsway-Lambton United Church

So, the wedding plans are well underway. We've chosen a date that we're 100% sticking to (August 23, 2008), we've booked the church (Kingsway-Lambton United Church, on The Kingsway in Toronto), we've selected the ministers (the hubby's Rev. Hugh Reid and my aunt, Rev. Lynda Hodges), we've chosen where to have dinner (Lambton Golf & Country Club), and I'm currently on the lookout for a photographer and a florist. We've also figured out how to satisfy both our desire for a small and simple wedding and our desire to celebrate with everyone that we want to: a two day wedding.

Day One (Aug. 23, Saturday) is the ceremony, which will be in the early evening, and then dinner at Lambton. This day is for immediate family (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles & first cousins only), so there will be about 40 of us. I have neither the desire nor the patience to plan and attend a big reception, so this is my way out of it! *lol* I'm not a mass-consumerism, wedding hysteria kind of girl, you know? And you can't go wrong with a good dinner and a few bottles of wine, so I'm all in.

Day Two (Aug. 24, Sunday) is an open house at the hubby's parents' house. All of the mums & aunties are going to make finger foods, and everyone can drop in as they please to celebrate with us. No stress, no caterers, no decorating, just friends, food, family, and fun. My kind of day. Sunday might see quite a lot of people coming by (I have a feeling that we'll end up inviting more than 100), but it will still be relaxed. I'm actually looking forward to it, rather than dreading the big to-do that weddings often turn into, so that's what makes our untraditional choice feel right for me (believe me, we thought of every possible wedding permutation there is, and this is the only one that we were 100% happy with). After the open house, the hubby and I are going to toodle off to Niagara-on-the-Lake for a couple of nights, and then come home to enjoy being married and get ready for back to school.

So that's that for the wedding right now. Obviously, there are still things to do (buy a dress, find a bridesmaid dress for my sister and a flower girl dress for my cousin, buy rings, register somewhere), but things are well underway. If you're a reader and a friend, mark your calendar for August 24th, and we can't wait to see you there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a great florist.

Bubbles said...

I know an amazing photographer.

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Info would be much appreciated! Have pow-wow with Mom & JPMC's mom on Sunday, so we will determine guest list & budget & planning can go ahead.