Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tired but productive

A quiet night tonight, which I spent watching Ugly Betty and CSI. I'm getting a bit tired of the Ugly Betty dramz. There seems to be major crisis after major crisis, without anything major changing in the structure of the show as a result. I do like what they're doing with character development--especially Betty's dad and Elena, Wilhemina, Daniel and Molly--but they need to make it go somewhere. Let's hope that the business going completely bankrupt has an impact.

CSI is definitely also a bit disappointing these days. The mystery solving is as good as ever, but I wish that the writers would let us get to know Lawrence Fishburne's character a bit better (like why does he wear a wedding ring, but we never see a spouse?). My favourite CSI story arcs are the ones with good character development along with the story, like the Miniature Killer arc, and the one where Nick gets buried alive. Hopefully, now that LF has had a bit of time to settle in, just that will happen. I will always miss Griss, though.

The hubby is out of town for the weekend (Blue Jays spring training in Florida, lucky duck), so I'm chilling on my own. It's good timing, as I've still got tons of writing to do before the end of the term, which is coming up fast. I've got 8/15 pages done on one paper, and 2/15 done on the other, so there's plent to get done. I'm feeling generally good about everything, though, and nothing is officially due until the 9th. And you know that seminar that I kept putting off in my strike coma, the one that haunted me for three months? I got a 94%. Go figure. I'm very pleased, though.

I'm not feeling mentally awake enough to write anyting too strenuous tonight, so another Facebook meme is is.

1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?

I think I was named after a soap opera character; or maybe Melissa Gilbert. You'll have to ask my mother. Either way, my parents weren't very creative, as there were 5 Melissa's in my kindergarten class, and there are 3 graduate-student Melissas at York this year. But my middle name is after my mom.

2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?

Hmmm...good question. Let me think. Oh yeah, during the Oscars telecast when Heath Ledger's family accepted his award.

3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
I do, yes. It's tidy but quirky.

4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
I'm not a lunch meat fan, so I don't have a favourite one.

5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
Not yet. Give me quite a few years and I'll get back to you.

6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
I don't think I'd give myself a choice. I'm pretty damn friendly.

7. DO YOU USE SARCASM?
Who me? Never.

8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
Yes.

9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Absolutely. I haven't had the opportunity yet, but I'll figure it out one day.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
Cold or hot? Hot: oatmeal. Cold: Captain Crunch (but never for breakfast).

11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Not unless I have to.

13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Does frozen yogurt count?

14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Facial expressions, I should think. Smiley/not smiley?

15. RED OR Pink?
Red.

16. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
Do you really want to know? Inability to accurately judge my own work, messiness.

17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
I miss not seeing Hayl every day at work, but I still see her at least once a week, so we do pretty well for ourselves.

18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO COMPLETE THIS LIST?
If you want to copy this to Facebook/your own blog, be my guest. I like learning more about my readers.

19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
This seems like kind of a weird question. Maybe just for me--I'm normally on my computer at home, and so I rarely wear shoes while typing. Blue pants (jeans), no shoes.

21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
The dishwasher.

22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
Something in the bluey-green family (the shade of my winter coat & my shower curtain & my hand towels & my grocery bag, if that helps you picture it.)

23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Fresh laundry, roasting chicken, and the hubby's cologne at the end of the day.

24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
The hubby.

25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
Yeppers!

26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
Golf (yes, I'm a nerd) and hockey.

27. HAIR COLOR?
Really dark brown (almost black) with some grey thrown in there.

28. EYE COLOR
Medium browny-green.

29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
No. I'm a glasses girl.

30. FAVORITE FOOD?
I can't answer this one. It's dependent on a lot of things, like occasion, meal, mood, etc. But if I had to pick a last meal, it would definitely involve poached eggs on toast and steak, so those will do.

31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
Scary thriller or scary horror? If the former, I'll take the scary. If the latter, I'll take the happy.

32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
X-Men, I believe.

33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
Green cashmere sweater. Delicious. Thanks, Mom!

34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
That's a hard one. Neither. But if I have to choose, summer...I'm learning to deal with the heat.

35. HUGS OR KISSES?
This is like the food question--it totally depends!

37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
Hmmm...not Rhianon, I don't think. Mariecel, maybe?

38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
See above.

39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
In the Skin of a Lion.

40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
My current mousepad is a copy of The Canadian Postmodern. It's a woman on a pedestal in a bathingsuit and swim cap.

41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT?
There aren't any good shows on Wednesdays, so nada.

42. FAVORITE SOUND(S).
The ocean, the hubby talking in his sleep, the doorbell chime of my cell getting a text, wind in trees.

43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
The Beatles.

44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
Japan. That's about as far as you can get without coming back the other way, isn't it?

45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
Hmmm...I'm still figuring that one out. I'm hoping that my special talent is being an academic. We'll see about that one.

46 WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
Mississauga. Ooh, exciting. Not. Why couldn't I have been born in Edinborough or somewhere interesting?

47. WHO’S ANSWERS ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK

Anyone who chooses to respond!

3 comments:

Rhianon said...

Alright I'll respond...

Anonymous said...

Read Blaise's blog post... omg. I laughed so hard I cried. Funny because its true.

Anonymous said...

Read Blaise's blog post... omg. I laughed so hard I cried. Funny because its true.