Thursday, March 19, 2009

Exciting Happenings

  • I've been given the opportunity to help edit a book with a professor at the Sorbonne (prestigious, I know!). I'm lucky to have great friends who think of me when opportunities like this come up. The person I will be working for teaches Commonwealth literature, so hopefully, as a Canadianist, I can be useful to her. The position starts in the fall, and also means more income next year that I thought!
  • I've also hooked myself up with another research assistant's job for the summer, coding Shakespeare for online use. Remember that TEI project I was working on during my Master's degree? Well, this Shakespeare is the next evolution of what TEI is trying to do; from what I've learned and seen, it looks more useful and less code-heavy than TEI. I still miss all of the programming that I did at my publishing job, so this will be a fun project for the summer. Again, very lucky to have friends who put me in touch with the right people, as my friend Sonia took me out for lunch and I got a job out of it.
  • Big birthday bash planned for April 17. Yes, I know that my birthday is on the 7th, but that happens to be really close to Easter this year, and so we pushed it back a bit. Eilbra and I are co-hosting a party at The Drake Hotel; I know that 27 isn't exactly a major birthday milestone, but we never need an excuse to get people together. Now to figure out what to wear...
  • Tomorrow is the first day of spring! So excited.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the party, wear something you don't mind throwing up in and something that looks good rolling on the floor while you hallucinate about giant white things... and I speak from experience. :D LOL Signed "X"

Melissa Dalgleish said...

Dear X:

Of what are you speaking? I have no recollection of an evening involving Jagermeister and spaghetti. Oh wait...you didn't mention Jagermeister and spaghetti. Ummm.........

Signed,
Melissa