Thursday, December 14, 2006

Recipe- Apple Crisp

So again today, I had a baking moment. This one was inspired not by an "I feel like baking something " urge, but by a "we're never going to eat all of the apples in our fridge before we leave, so I need to do something with them" feeling, but the end result was the same. I needed to find a way to use up a whole bunch of apples while only using the ingredients that we currently had in the apartment. And no, I wasn't about to go for the lemon juice and mushrooms.

So, back to www.allrecipes.com I went, this time on a more specific hunt. I knew that I had most of the ingredients for an apple crisp. However, I didn't have any brown sugar, as I used all of it for our super-de-duper fudge-and yes Mar, I'll make you a pan and bring it with on the 27th. :) So, a hunting I went for an apple crisp recipe that didn't need brown sugar. It took a little scrounging, but I found one, and it turned out fabulously. The topping is crunchy and not too sweet, and the apples are tender and cinnamony, but haven't turned into applesauce yet. Another score in the "baking with limited ingredients" Olympics. Now if only I can find something to do with those mushrooms...

Ingredients:

  • six apples, cored and chopped into big bite sized pieces (I didn't peel them because I like the texture and the nutrition, but you can if you like).
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 cup softened butter
  • Cinnamon
Instructions:
  • Put apples in a pan (I used an 8x8 and had some topping left over, but the recipe called for a 9x13)
  • Sprinkle with as much cinnamon as you would like.
  • Mix together flour, sugar, oats, and melted butter, again with as much cinnamon as you would like.
  • Sprinkle topping over apples. Dot remaining butter over the top and douse with as much cinnamon (yes again!) as you would like.
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes or until the topping is golden and the apples are tender (I think mine only took about 40 minutes).
  • Enjoy!
Another successful conquest! I'm going to be at a loss when I actually have food in the house...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!! thanks Mel!
xoxo Mar