Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Recipe- Brown Sugar Fudge

I was hanging out at home last night marking while the hubby studied for his Trusts exam, and I had a sudden urge to bake something. I get these urges occasionally. Normally, I'm all good to throw together some banana bread or some peanut butter cookies, but yesterday was a bit different. See, we're going back to T.O. for Christmas on Friday, which means that we're trying to clean out our fridge/freezer/cupboards as much as possible before we leave so that nothing goes bad while we're gone. Hence my conundrum when I decided that I wanted to bake something, but then realized that all I had in the fridge was lemon juice and mushrooms. Not exactly a cookie do they make.

However, I was determined to succeed, and after doing a thorough inventory of our cupboards (man we have a lot of microwave popcorn! I think it was on sale), I went online to see what could possibly be made with stuff that I had on hand. Thanks to the wonder of www.allrecipes.com, I was provided with the idea of fudge. Couldn't be chocolate though, 'cause I didn't have chocolate. Couldn't be peanut butter, because all of the recipes seemed to require marshmallow fluff. Therefore, had to be brown sugar- which only required 5 ingredients, all of which I had! Jackpot!

This is honestly, the easiest fudge you will ever make, and it is so good! I mean, it's pure sugar and gives you a headache it's so sweet, but if you're in the mood for sugar, this is the way to go. So here you have it:

Melissa's "my cupboards were bare but I wanted to make something" Brown Sugar Fudge

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Instructions:
  • Combine first four ingredients in a medium pot. Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage. This means that when you drip some into a bowl of cold water, you can pick up the syrup from the bottom and form it into a soft ball. It will hold its shape for a minute, but will flatten out as you hold it.
  • Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and then let cool until lukewarm (I put the whole pot in the freezer to speed up the process).
  • Beat until it loses its glossiness; pour into a well greased 8x8" pan and let cool until firm.
  • Cut into squares and serve.
There you have it. Super easy, difficult to mess up (as long as you watch out for soft ball and don't let it go too far), and very very yummy. For all of you who live with/near me in ON, I'll make you some when I get back. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRING ME SOME FUDGE!!!!

luv Mar

lol