Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Careers I could have if I wasn't going to be a prof...

If I were to make up a fictional resume based on things that I do frequently but aren't actually my job, here are some of the descriptions it might contain:

  • men's hairdresser (gave the hubby a kickass haircut last night. Yes, we are that frugal!)
  • interior designer (me + no money = shabby chic apartment)
  • chef (killer chili-garlic noodles for dinner tonight)
  • movie critic (see many of the posts on this blog)
  • literary editor
  • life coach
  • nurse (got a boo boo?)
  • esthetician (I give a damn good manicure!)
  • housekeeper (well, currently apartment keeper, but you know what I mean.)
  • personal shopper (especially come Christmas when my dad can't do anything alone)
  • stylist (look out, Rachel Zoe!)
  • seamstress (things I have sewn this week: three buttons, a shower curtain hem, pants hem. When I have money to buy a sewing machine, I'm going to make my own clothes.)
  • house painter
  • plumber (I can solder pipe and install faucets and showers.)
  • electrician (I love that I can wire simple things myself. Want a custom lamp?)

I'm sure that there are more, and I'm sure that when I become a mother, the list will lengthen exponentially. It's always nice to know that you've got options when it comes to careers if you get bored of the one that you're doing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My problem is that any time I find something I'm good at doing other than my planned career, I end up doing it for money anyway. So far I have managed to turn two hobbies and a volunteer thing into two jobs and a paid volunteer job. Must be the commerce grad in me. Either that or the starving student. :)

Anonymous said...

Ode to a Career

A career is a hard thing to find -
But there's one thing to keep in mind,
As far as you know
there isn't a show
for people with two careers combined.

I should start a random poetry blog I can rant on. lol - Mar