Sunday, September 30, 2007

Busy Family Sunday

Today was a great family day. Mom & I hung out this morning, we had a nice family lunch, and then I headed over to Greg and Kerry's (my brother and sister-in-laws' house) for our nephew's 1st birthday party. Aaron is such a happy kid, and it was so fun to see him running around and having fun. He's quite the walker now, and he races around the house like nobody's business. Kerry is such a mommy, and it's hilarious listening to the aunties exclaiming about how crazy it is that Greg is a grownup with a baby.

After the party (and delicious cake, most of which ended up on Aaron's face), I headed over to the in-laws house to check out the bed they're giving us, which will be great. It's the perfect size for our little-ish bedroom; then, it was off to Auntie Carol's. Three hours of chatting later (when we get started talking, we're not good at stopping. It's awful!), it was home for Dad's famous chili and Brothers & Sisters with Mom.

I have to say, I have found out this weekend just how talented the family women are when it comes to bargain hunting. Getting a new place means getting a lot of stuff, and while that could be pretty scary and expensive for some people, Mom and I are professional deal getters. That, my generous parents, and lots of family donations means that we have gathered a record amount of furniture and housewares for next to nothing. God bless Dollarama! (Must confess, I belong to the "I Heart Dollarama" Facebook group). I think I'm the most proud of our dining set -- a big table and six chairs for about $150, at Loblaw's no less. Actually, my $7/dozen wine glasses were pretty amazing too. I was set on only buying what was practical and necessary, but my Mom decided that we needed some pretty too, so she bought us quite a few nice things, like throw pillows and towels. The hubby's mum & dad are giving us a bed and dresser, which will save us lots. Yea for Moms! Add to that Auntie Carol's loveseats and housewares, and we are good to go.

The hubby is back from Vancouver, so I'll have to go get the scoop on that one. Sounds like he had a pretty good night last night, as his goodnight call was at 7:45 a.m. Toronto time, which was 4:45 a.m. for him. Crazy guy! Well, I had a good weekend too, so we'll have lots of stories to swap. And moving day is on Tuesday!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Necessity really is the mother of invention. I remember furnishing my apartment at school on $200 and having something considerably more livable than your average student apartment.