Friday, January 16, 2009

Thoughts on a few pressing & frivolous issues

  • Forced ratification is coming up on Monday & Tuesday. A lot of people are very worried. I, however, am not. Not because I think that I know how it's going to turn out, because I don't, but because worrying doesn't change the outcome. So I'll just vote how I want to vote, do what I can to make sure that people are informed, and wait for the results.
  • We are not, sadly, moving back to Halifax. Or seriously considering moving back to Halifax. As much as I think that the York administration is a bunch of wankers, leaving Toronto right now doesn't make sense. Our families are here, our friends are here, and as much as the idea of going through another strike in two or three years makes me want to throw up, the people at York are amazing. So, sticking it out, at least for now. Which is not to say that I won't be looking for a job in the Maritimes when I graduate. I'll just have to complete my dissertation all the quicker so that I can get away from York faster.
  • I feel much better after my meltdown, and my bout of furniture rearrangement. One of my major beefs with our apartment is that I don't have an office, and that any direct sunlight that we do get ends up in the dining room between the hours of 10:30 and 12:00--a place I'm only in at dinner time. So, to rectify at least the crappy desk situation, our dining room table, which is huge, has now become our desk, and vice versa. The desk doesn't really work as a table, because it has bars that mean that you can't push chairs in, so I'll do some hunting on Craigslist for a replacement. But I can actually spread out and work now, which is a big relief.
  • I am so glad that we don't live in the west end (yet!) as they don't have power, and haven't had since yesterday.
  • Milk was amazing. I saw it last night with a couple of York friends, and we all loved it. One friend worried that he loved it unreasonably because of his resonance, as a gay man, with the subject matter, but I loved it too. Sean Penn was incredible, and Josh Brolin was unrecognizable--which in my books, is very high praise for an actor indeed. I'm continuing in my newfound appreciation for James Franco as well; he was so endearing in this movie, and apparently he's a big school nerd doing two or three Master's degrees right now? Good on ya! I've always got a soft spot for geek.
  • The plan for today is to get some essay writing done, reorganize my closet, and go for a swim. Quite reasonable I think. And...
  • The sun is out!!

0 comments: